From Sept 2022-January 2023, the ADVANCE Program is offering 6 virtual modules for OHT leadership groups, with each module building off the previous ones to support OHTs with a thorough understanding of collaborative governance. Presented below are overviews for each module, along with the dates and times of the sessions offered.
To gain the most from the ADVANCE program, it is critical to ensure that the same 6-10 members of your leadership group participates in all 6 modules (with the group reflecting the diversity of organizational partners in your OHT). This will allow leaders to fully engage in the materials covered and build on the discussions from previous modules. Additionally, to ensure the best use of leaders’ time and to make the sessions as interactive as possible, material for some modules may be forwarded ahead of time for participant review. These materials should be reviewed ahead of the designated sessions in order to enable full engagement in the discussion.
Registration is now closed
Once you have reviewed the descriptions below please use the link provided to register for your preferred session date. There is limited space for each session, so make sure to sign up your OHT leadership group as soon as possible.
Module 1: Setting the Foundation: Introduction to ADVANCE
Shared leadership, decision-making and accountability are essential elements in developing and sustaining effective governance for Ontario Health Teams. The COVID-19 pandemic has heightened our awareness that addressing complex healthcare issues of this scale demands more collaborative, distributed forms of leadership. The first workshop will identify key frameworks and tools to support shared governance, including the Collective Impact Framework. Through a combination of evidence-informed materials and facilitated discussion, leaders will examine fundamental questions, including:
- What do we mean by shared governance in the context of OHTs?
- How has COVID-19 accelerated AND/OR created barriers to shared governance for OHTs?
- What tensions are inherent in the OHT environment, and how do they set the stage for negotiating shared leadership principles and practices?
All Module 1 sessions are offered from 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, September 15
Module 1 slides (updated Fall 2022) and additional resources can be found here.
Module 2: Authentic Collaboration & Agile Participatory Structures
Building shared understanding about what authentic collaboration looks like is critical because shared governance is about so much more than putting the right structure in place. Building and sustaining effective OHT governance/leadership requires an enabling culture and structure, the right competencies, and evidence-informed collaborative processes. This workshop will examine the following questions:
- What does authentic collaboration look like in OHTs?
- What is required of leaders in a collaborative and adaptive environment?
- How do you build an enabling culture/structure for shared leadership?
Materials to be reviewed before the session will be provided closer to the date; these materials will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
All Module 2 sessions are offered from 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, October 6, 2022
Module 2 slides (from Winter 2022) and additional resources can be found here.
Module 3: Shared Decision-making
OHT leaders must work collaboratively to negotiate complex system level decisions that align organizational and system interests to achieve collective benefits and impacts. This requires a high degree of trust because individual leaders/organizations must be prepared to give up autonomy and control to negotiate consensus. In this workshop we will examine the following questions:
- What are the decision parameters that clarify what level/type of decisions will be made and by whom?
- How will decisions be negotiated among partners to ensure they are thoroughly debated and diverse views are incorporated?
- What forum should be used to make different decisions?
Materials to be reviewed before the session will be provided closer to the date; these materials will take approximately 45 minutes to complete.
All Module 3 sessions are offered from 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, October 27, 2022
Module 3 slides (from Winter 2022) and additional resources can be found here.
Module 4: Shared Accountability
OHT’s have multiple accountabilities. The alignment between organizational and OHT priorities and how organizations contribute to their shared OHT accountabilities will help determine their success with shared governance, and, ultimately, improved population outcomes. Shared Leadership/Governance Teams will explore such questions as:
- Are all partners clear about our shared goals, outcomes and accountabilities?
- To whom and for what is the OHT accountable? Do we have the right governance processes and structures in place to facilitate shared accountability?
- What tools might we use to clarify the contributions and commitments of each partner to various shared OHT accountabilities?
Materials to be reviewed before the session will be provided closer to the date, these materials will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
All Module 4 sessions are offered from 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, November 17, 2022
Module 4 slides (from Winter 2022) and additional resources can be found here.
Module 5: Governance Models
Collective Impact successes highlight the need for dedicated backbone supports (staff/resources) to serve and coordinate collaborative efforts. Effective backbone supports will enable OHTs to convene and facilitate leadership meetings and enable collaborative processes and shared decision making required to redesign care for targeted populations.
Governance models must promote and enable shared leadership, decision-making and accountability in order to successfully achieve OHT performance objectives and ensure financial oversight and accountability. However, these models will need to evolve over time to achieve transformative systems-level change. In this session we will explore a number of questions, including:
- What are key lessons learned about creating an effective backbone structure for initiatives such as OHTs?
- How can Collaborative Leadership Teams create effective shared decision-making processes while also maintaining the trust and support of their individual organizational boards?
- What are the governance options for OHTs and how might these evolve over time?
All Module 5 sessions are offered from 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, December 8, 2022
Module 5 slides (from Winter 2022) and additional resources can be found here.
Module 6: Synthesis & Roadmap
In this final session, we will integrate the key learning from Modules 1 through 5 and enable OHT leadership teams to reflect on local strengths and opportunities related to shared governance, now and into the future. We will facilitate the creation of individual OHT Roadmaps that will highlight areas for further discussion and coaching, intended to support continuous improvement in shared governance practices as OHTs progress toward more integrated models of care delivery.
All Module 6 sessions are offered from 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, January 5, 2023
ADVANCE Coordinator – email@example.com